Uttanpadasana strengthens the abdominal muscles, 6 pack abdominal muscles. Pressure on the abdominal wall tones all abdominal organs. It strengthens the muscles of the lower back thereby relieving lower back pain.
It also strengthens the hamstring muscles. Uttanapadasana improves the functioning of digestive organs. It improves digestion and relieves constipation.
It is also good for people suffering from pancreas and diabetes. For women, it is a good pose to strengthen the uterine walls. However, you should avoid it during menstruation.
You should avoid it during early stages during pregnancy. However, you can consult your doctor if you want to practice it with caution during the later stages of pregnancy.
It can overcome the problem of gas and acidity. Uttanapadasana can help in reducing weight around the stomach. It improves the functioning of reproductive organs.
So let us know how to do this from Uttanapadasan Now.
Meaning of Uttanpadasana
The Sanskrit word utthan means ‘raised’ and pada means ‘foot’. Hence the name of the asana. It is a useful asana to perform as it helps to strengthen the abdominal muscles, remove wind and constipation.
Important: This asana is dedicated to Dhruva’s father Uttanapada.
How to do Uttanpadasana
- Practice sequence 1 (A): Lie on the ground with your back.
- Keep both hands in the waist.
- Place the palms on the floor.
- Inhale and raise the two legs together at an angle of about 60 ° from the ground while applying slight pressure on the hands.
- The two legs are joined together and the paws are taut towards the front.
- Wait one to 2 minutes in this state, return to the original state. Keep breathing normal.
Breathing / Time: Stop breathing while raising the feet and exhale while coming down. Do this 3 to 5 times.
Precautions: If there is any kind of severe pain in the waist or spine, etc.
Uttanpadasana for Beginners
This asana is deceptive for it looks far easier than it really is. On the other hand, with a little practice it can be quickly mastered. Reasonably strong abdominal muscles are required to practise it properly (i.e. with the legs raised only a short distance off the ground).
With the majority of people this is not the case and so there is normally some difficulty in performing this asana. Under these circumstances a simplified version can be performed.
First of all the arms can be utilized to help raise and hold the legs in the final position. Secondly, the legs can be raised higher so that they make an angle of forty-five degrees or even more with the ground.
This reduces the contraction necessary in the abdominal muscles.
However, the practitioner should progressively try to perform the asana so that the arms remain relaxed throughout the practice and the legs are only slightly raised off the floor.
This should be the final goal, even if it takes a few weeks or more. In this way the asana will give its optimum benefits and the condition of the abdominal organs and muscles will greatly improve.
1. Heals the navel removed from its place. reduces abdominal fat.
2. is a panacea for possession. Provides strength to muscles of the back, waist and abdomen.
3. mitigates air disorder.
4. Uttanpadasana is an excellent asana for strengthening the abdominal muscles, massaging the internal organs, removing wind and eliminating constipation.
5.In this respect .it is particularly powerful when supplemented by pawanmuktasana. While uttanpadasana stretches the abdomen, pawanmuktasana compresses it.
6.If you suffer from flatulence or constipation you should definitely practise these asanas one after the other.
7.In this context they can be practised at almost any time of the day (apart from after meals), but the best time is early in the morning before going to the toilet.
Uttanpadasana Variation: Fast Uttanpadasana
How to do Fast Uttanpadasana
- Method: Lie on your back on the floor.
- Keep the palms side by side. Inhale, raise the left leg so that the shape of the right angle is formed, stop for some time and return to the original position while exhaling.
- In this way, do 5-6 times with the left leg. Do the same with the right leg. Now do the same action with both feet simultaneously.
Check it out:
- Strengthens the abdominal area.
- Improves digestive system.
- strengthens spinal cord lower back muscles.
- Produces elasticity.
- Removes fat, make thighs and buttocks.